Our society is increasingly interested in the heath, welfare, and environmental aspects of pork production. It demands that the pork production chain works with respect for the pig, the environment, natural resources, and the final consumer. Topigs Norsvin follows code EFABAR. Just like all other chain partners in pork production, we are responsible for delivering safe and healthy food in a sustainable manner.
What is Code EFABAR
Code EFABAR is a code of good practice. It certifies that an organization selects and breeds farm animals in a responsible manner. The code addresses the following topics:
- Animal health and welfare. Improving animal health and welfare is essential to meet society’s demands for ethical food production.
- Food safety and public health. Reducing the use of antimicrobials, and reduce food waste to minimize antimicrobial resistance.
- Environment. Reducing the environmental footprint of food production is a key aspect of breeding best practice.
- Product quality. A key focus for breeding organizations. The most appropriate animals in a population are selected for key traits like leanness of meat.
- Genetic diversity. Ensuring a high level of genetic diversity within populations is a prerequisite for responsible breeding programs.
- Better use of resources. Better use of resources is central to Code EFABAR, and can be achieved through techniques like breeding animals with optimal feed use.